Zoning NYC Use Group 7(Last Updated On: May 10, 2019)
The NYC Zoning Resolution has Use Groups to categorize buildings based on their use. NYC Zoning Use Group 7 consists of repair services and some “transient accommodations” such as motels.
Hotel Zoning NYC Use Group 7
Certificate Of Occupancy for Use Group 7
Use Groups are listed on the Certificate Of Occupancy for a space. Use Group 7 has five categories. A Certificate Of Occupancy or CO for Use Group 7 would identify the use of spaces as:
Use Group 7A
Use Group 7A is “Transient Accommodations” as listed below. This does not include Hotels which are Use Group 5.
- “Tourist Cabins”
Restrictions apply in C2 Zoning Districts.
Use Group 7B
Use Group 7B is for Certain Retail Service Establishments
- Bicycle rental or repair shops
- Electrical, glazing, heating, painting, paper hanging, plumbing, roofing or ventilating contractors up to 2,500 square feet.
- Funeral Homes
- Monument sales establishments
- Gun repair
- Monument sales establishments, with incidental processing to.
- Moving or storage offices with up to 1,500 square feet of floor area for retail storage.
- Refreshment stands, drive-in
- Sign painting up to 2,500 square feet
- Taxidermy shops
- Custom Shade and Awning Shops up to 2,500 square feet
- Window cleaning contractors, floor waxing and other building maintenance services
Use Group 7C
Use Group 7C is for Certain Wholesalers
- Wholesalers with up 1,500 square feet of storage
Use Group 7D
Use Group 7D is for Certain Automotive Services
- Automobile glass and mirror shops
- Automobile seat cover or convertible top establishments, selling or installation
- Charging Stations for Electric Vehicles
- Tire Sales and installation
Use Group 7E
Use Group 7E is accessory uses to all other uses in Use Group 7
Where Can You Build Hotel Use Group 5 in NYC?
Residential Zoning Districts
In general you cannot develop commercial uses in residential zoning districts with few exceptions. If as residential zoning district has a commercial overlay it is possible to develop certain commercial uses.
A Commercial Overlay is a commercial zone mapped within Residential Zoning Districts to allow for Commercial Use and or Residential.
Certain uses will have restrictions in C2 districts including motels.
Commercial Zoning Districts
You can develop Hotels in most commercial districts in NYC including their respective subdistricts and contextual districts.
- C2 Local Service
- C5 Restricted Central Commercial
- C8 General Service
Manufacturing Zoning Districts
Use Group 7 in general can be developed in all Manufacturing Zoning Districts. With some restrictions most notably motels, boatels and tourist cabins cannot be developed in M2 or M3 districts. As well M1 Zoning Districts will require a Special Permit.
Transient Accommodations in M1 Zoning Special Permit.
New York City passed a M1 hotel zoning text amendment that now requires a special permit for hotels, motels, boatels, and tourist cabins in M1 Zoning Districts. Below are a list of M1 Zoning Districts.
NYC Commercial Zoning Use Group 7
As an architect I study Zoning Codes closely, but these are complicated and quite involved issues. In this article we reviewed some of the basic concepts with regards to the NYC Commercial Zoning Use Group 7. This post does not assume to cover every possible issue or condition, but provide a general overview of the topic.
Thank you for reading our blog post on Commercial Use Group 7 in the NYC Zoning Code.
I hope this was helpful. Please leave questions and comments below. If you would like to speak with an architect you can Contact Fontan Architecture directly.
Author Jorge Fontan AIA
This post was written by Jorge Fontan, a Registered Architect and owner of Fontan Architecture.