Registered Architect NYC Jorge Fontan AIA

(Last Updated On: June 14, 2019)

An architecture license is issued by the State. I am a Registered Architect in New York State practicing in New York City with local affiliations. NYC is a difficult place to work so if you are looking for an architect I recommend getting a Registered Architect in NYC. For a Registered Architect NYC DOB registration is additional to being a licensed architect.


Registered Architect NYC

I am a New York Registered architect. Below I will outline what License / Registration and affiliations I have. If you are looking for an architect to work in NYC I highly recommend you find a local registered architect who really knows how things are done in NYC.


NY State Registered Architect

A Registered Architect or RA is a licensed architect. Individual States issue an architecture license in the United States. To practice architecture in another state one would have to get a license in that state which is not that complicated once you have a license in at least one State. The first one is the hard one to get.

I am a licensed architect in New York State and operate my Architecture Firm in NYC: Fontan Architecture. A person who is a registered architect will have the letters RA after their name or AIA, some people use both. Personally I only use the AIA.


American Institute of Architects

Not all Registered Architects choose to join the American Institute of Architects more commonly known as the AIA. I am an AIA member and therefor write my name as Jorge Fontan AIA. The AIA after my name indicates that I am a Registered Architect and member of the American Institute of Architects. Although it i snot required to be an AIA member in order to hold an architecture License many architects are AIA.

I am a National, New York Sate, and New York City member of the American Institute of Architects.


NYC DOB Registered Architect

The New York City Department of Buildings does not issue architecture licenses, but one can be registered with the NYC DOB. Although it is not required in NYC you can register and get an NYC DOB Identification as a Registered Architect. The NYC DOB issues these to Architects and Engineers or as the NYC DOB calls us Design Professionals. In order for an architect to personally conduct business at the NYC DOB they must register and get a DOB ID. I of course have a NYC DOB ID and often conduct business personally at the DOB.

Aside from have a DOB to go to the actual Department Of Buildings offices you can have an account for filling online. I tend to file most or rather almost all of my jobs online with the NYC Development Hub. This is optional but I certainly think it is the better option.


NYS Architecture License Lookup

If you want to verify an Architect’s Registration you need to go to the State. The New York State has a site for looking up a Licensed Architect to see if the hold a valid license. Go to the NYS Architecture License Lookup to check a Licensed Architect in New York State.


Architecture Education

I thought I would include my background and college degrees, I have the following:

  • Master of Science in Advanced Architectural Design from Columbia University
  • Bachelor of Architecture for the City College of New York
  • Bachelor of Science from the City College of New York


Registered Architect NYC and NY State

In this article we reviewed some of the basics with regards to NY Registered Architects and Affiliations. This post does not assume to cover every possible issue or condition, but provide a general overview of the topic.


Thank you for reading our blog post on Apartment Renovation NYC.

I hope this was helpful. Please leave questions and comments below. If you would like to speak with an architect you can Contact Fontan Architecture directly.


No Comments

Post a Comment