Use Group 16 NYC Commercial Zoning
The NYC Zoning Resolution has Use Groups to categorize buildings based on their use. NYC Zoning Use Group 16 is semi industrial uses.
Zoning NYC Use Group 16
Certificate Of Occupancy for Use Group 16
Use Groups are listed on the Certificate Of Occupancy for a building. Use Group 16 has five categories. A Certificate Of Occupancy or CO for Use Group 16 would identify the use of spaces as:
Use Group 16A Retail and Services
Use Group 16A consists of certain retail and service uses.
- Animal hospitals or kennels
- Animal pounds or crematoriums
- Automobile, motorcycle, trailer or boat sales, open or enclosed
- Blacksmith shops
- Building materials sales, open or enclosed, limited to 10,000 square feet of lot area
- Carpentry, custom woodworking or custom furniture making
- Crematoriums, human
- Electrical, glazing, heating, painting, paper hanging, plumbing, roofing or ventilating contractors
- Fuel, ice, oil, coal or wood sales, up to 5,000 square feet of lot area
- Household or office equipment or machinery repair
- Machinery rental or sales
- Mirror silvering or glass cutting
- Motorcycle or motor scooter rental
- Poultry or rabbit killing
- Riding academies
- Sign painting shops
- Silver plating shops
- Soldering or welding shops
- Stables for horses
- Tool, die or pattern making establishments, or similar small machine shops
- Trade schools for adults
Use Group 16B Automotive Services
- Automobile, truck, motorcycle or trailer repair
- Car Wash / Automobile laundries
- Automotive service stations
Use Group 16C Vehicle Storage
- Commercial or public utility vehicle storage
- Dead storage of motor vehicles
- Public transit yards
Use Group 16D
- Carpet cleaning
- Dry cleaning or cleaning and dyeing
- Linen, towel or diaper supply
- Moving or storage offices
- Packing or crating establishments
- Photographic developing or printing
- Trucking terminals or motor freight stations up to 20,000 square feet of lot area
- Wholesale establishments
Use Group 16E
Use Group 16E is for accessory uses to the other uses in Group 16.
Where Can You Build Use Group 16 in NYC?
Commercial Zoning Districts
You can only develop Use Group 16 in one commercial district in NYC:
- C8 General Service
Manufacturing Zoning Districts
Manufacturing Zones allow for Use Group 16
NYC Zoning Use Group 16
As an architect I study Zoning Codes closely, but these are complicated and quite involved issues. In this article we reviewed some of the basic concepts with regards to the NYC Zoning Use Group 16. This post does not assume to cover every possible issue or condition, but provide a general overview of the topic.
Thank you for reading our blog post on Use Group 16 in the NYC Zoning Code.
I hope this was helpful. Please leave questions and comments below. If you would like to speak with an architect you can Contact Fontan Architecture directly.
Author Jorge Fontan AIA
This post was written by Jorge Fontan, a Registered Architect and owner of Fontan Architecture.